Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Smell the Roses? I don't even LIKE roses!

I really don't. Thats not to say I've never seen pretty one, I just do not like them. Rosebuds are nice. But really, they smell like the old Avon cream perfumes my mom used to have in those little jars. When they bloom, they have that ugly glob of seeds and stuff in there, yuck. Anyway, I wanted to name my blog something meaningful to me, something that reminds me every day of something important. It was quite an internal struggle for me to use this name because it didn't fit, I should LOVE the name of my blog right? It was not sitting right in my brain. Then the font. And the color. And the background, and the theme. I need things to make sense in my mind, to coordinate, thats the word, coordinate and be meaningful. And I wanted it perfect. And it was never gonna get done, because I couldn't figure out what that perfect was. Like the bazillion other projects I start and don't finish because I can't get through the planning process. I have a terrible time picking a place and just going for it. A few years back my sister bought a bunch of scrapbooking stuff (oh, every project starts with shopping right-and my sister can shop!), we were gonna crop till we dropped. I never made ONE page, why-because I couldn't decide how I was going to scrapbook. Holiday books, one per kid, one per kid-per sport-per year, one BIG book per year, hmmm maybe one for every vacation, and holiday and kid, and then a birthdays only book too. And each kid needs their own to take with them when they grow up. What is that, like 20 scrapbooks, and I only had 3 kids at the time! So while I awaited my big decision, my kids grew up, grew up. I have boxes of pictures, and we LOVE digging through them, but its not really what I had in mind you know? So, it has become increasingly more important for me to STOP! and smell the roses. Just enjoy the little things, and the big ones too! I do appreciate, and I do enjoy, but I want to really feel it, just enjoy and appreciate the blessings and the people in my life. I have gotten somewhat away from that. My life is blessed with plenty of things worth smelling, I just have not consciously stopped to do so, to really soak it in and enjoy! We have so many firsts, and lasts in our lives right now. Devin's last year of high school, our first grandchild, Delaney is loaded with firsts, she's only 18 months old! Dustin wants to get his first job (he did have a SHORT summer job, but it didn't really count!). Donovan is growing up so quickly, he was 4 last week! I don't want to put off things I cannot get back, little moments in time with my kids, you only get so many of those, and they grow up on you! Now, I have learned that a grandchild is a pretty special benefit of having a grown up kid, oh but I would have them all be my babies forever if I could! Well maybe not, being a Mom to a grown up kid has been something I really enjoy, quite a special relationship, and don't get me started on being a Grandma, I have a whole post planned for that one! I am OK with my little blog, sort of, but it is here, and I am posting, I have finished a project!!!!!! Is there something Freudian about ME choosing a project that really doesn't have and end??!!! So each day when I post here, I am reminded to stop, and Smell the Roses, you should too! ( before the petals fall off and you're left with that ugly little seed pod thing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment