Wednesday, October 29, 2008

An International Coincidence of Monumental Proportions! PART 1

Hang with me here peeps, its been awhile since I've been inspired to share a looong story, but you'll LOVE it! And when you think you know where it's headed, think again!

OK, see this cute little high school cheerleader? Yup, that was my BFF, Judy, in high school. She was my BFF back in middle school, when "middle school" was "junior high" and "BFF's" were just "best friends". There we actually four of us. We drifted apart in HS, no bad blood, just that damn cheerleading skirt took her in directions that my lack of one could, well, not take me. **disclaimer for my sweet Judy- she did not ditch non-cheerleaders-we just did not do the same things, so we no longer shared the same group of buddies!** But I'm over it - the not getting picked thing-really. Over the fact that my younger sister got one(cheerleading skirt) too, despite the fact that I also tried out. Despite the fact that I made up the very routine my sister used for her try out. That alone made me a good cheerleader -right? But the skirt eluded me and I am really OK with that. I am.
Well, at least I think I got OK about 6 years ago when my niece let Devin borrow her teensy cheerleader outfit for Halloween anyway. I tried it on and fit into it, without squeezing, I just zipped it right, up, kinda like it was made for me, spooky actually! It wasn't orange and black in true Lakewood Tiger spirit or anything, but it was Halloween (which is orange and black and spooky)!! Yeaaa, that felt good. Not sayin' I looked like all that, but after 3 kids I fit into it, and dear sis, and Miss Judy, I am pretty sure would not have, just sayin'. **another disclaimer-that was 6 years ago, and definitely would NOT fly today!**
So there, I am all better, and Judy is now a Licensed School Social Worker ( and the sweetest thing ever!) living in Fort Collins - Yeeeaaa, social work that little ditty(story up there) missy!
On the subject of Social Workers-We used to spend TONS of time in Ms. Gilmores office crying about random stuff. We all felt so important and validated when we'd get called out of class to her office to share our innermost "issues", back when "issues", were just part of growing up. I know Judy, I know, it's real, it's serious, don't slap me, but we didn't have that many problems, did we?!
OK, so I got a tiny bit carried away with my mini-self therapy session, so I will have to have a part two to my international coincidence. Stay tuned for tomorrow's fascinating conclusion when we go inter-continental, bi-coastal, multi-generational, whatever, you get my point! Oh, did I mention Judy and I had not been in contact since high school, (and that was very little) until last February, (and that was very little) until June for the ICMP?

2 comments:

  1. O.K., I have just a few editoral comments...(I'm clearing my throat and pulling up my sleeves to help create the mood)...It's not nice to call people little, just because they are short. Not that being short bothers me, I got over that a long time ago, o.k. well maybe it bothers me a little. I get this feeling that everyone is always looking down on me.

    Glad to hear that you've gotten over not being a cheerleader. Although, I still have that skirt if you ever want to borrow it -- I have no doubt you'd fit into it, but I'd need a crane to get in it.

    I'm not a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, I'm a Licensed School Counselor; yes, I have become Ms. Gilmore. The irony is unbelievable. I continue to live through our "created drama" indefinitely, I believe it's karma!

    I know that I am not the sweetest thing ever, either I've just been on very good behavior around you, or you just have very low standards!

    Love ya,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way in H-E double toothpicks I'd get that thing up a thigh at this point, that was TWO kids ago! Sorry about your job title I will fix it. I agree your career is karma! Um, you are the sweetest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete