Friday, October 31, 2008

An International Coincidence Of Monumental Proportions - PART 2!

This is a self-contained story, but you may want to read PART 1 first ( a post or so ago)!

This is Emilie! She is a very good friend of Devins (see next photo). They met in this past summer in Japan. (Devin spent two weeks there with his cousin and a tour group). Emilie was there visiting her dad who works in Japan.
When Devin jumped in the van at the airport when he got back from said trip to Japan he was jet-lagged and not really in the mood to play "twenty questions" with his mother, but he did give me the camera so I could flip through the photos at least. "Oh"-he says "I met this girl from Fort Collins there." He showed me her picture, she's a cutie for sure, "Yeah" he mumbled. They met at "USJ" (cool Japanese lingo for Universal Studios-Japan!!), hung out for a bit, that was that. How crazy is it that a week later they happened to met up again waaaaaaaaay on the other end of town? This time at a shopping place where they spent more time together, before promising to "keep in touch" when they got home.
On this same ride home from the airport I told Devin about my old school buddy (Judy) who had lived in Japan for years because of her husbands career, but had moved back here just last year, to Fort Collins. She has two kids, one being a teenage daughter. I grilled Devin for more scoop on Emilie, but got a TON of, "MOM!-there are tons of Americans that travel to Japan........besides, Emilie didn't live there very long. OK, OK.
A week or so later I e-mailed Judy, reminding her that we had promised to keep in touch back in February (after meeting up on classmates.com) We'd exchanged a few e-mails at the time, and were headed for "lost touch". I had been thinking about her because she'd lived in Japan and Devin had just been there. I mentioned that Dev had met a girl from Fort Collins.

Fast from forward a day-I get an e-mail from Judy asking if Devin is my son?!!! Her daughter met a boy from Lakewood in Japan this summer! WHAT?????!! Are you kidding me?? Um, yes, I answered, is Emilie your daughter? I try to double confirm by giving Judy the cell phone number Devin collected from Emilie and her friend. Yes, Emilie is my friend Judy's daughter who totally randomly met my son in Japan, not once, but TWICE!!! Thats what gives this story "ICMP" status! Is that nuts or what? This could have been settled in Japan had Judy been super nosy like me! Turns out she met Devin too, and knew he went to Lakewood High, Heeeelllooooooo-you went there too!!! Had she mentioned that, he would have said "Yeah, so did my mom" and we'd have known this crazy news in Japan! Ahhh, but this way was MUCH more exciting!
What really makes my little arm hairs stand on end is the thought that Judy and I had JUST re-connected in February! We graduated 25 years ago, add a couple years to that since the last time we had a real conversation. I mean what if we hadn't? I suppose our kids still would have met and we'd have figured this out later. But really, 300+ months with no contact, and we get in touch within 4 months of our kids meeting? On the other side of the globe? They stumble upon eachother TWICE, in a very big busy populated place, where Judy said its not always easy to meet someone you are intending to meet! And, they have become friends-real true bonafide close friends. I mean how many of those does a person even get in their lifetime, muchless for one of them to be the daughter of your moms junior high best friend, that you met-in Japan! As for Judy and I - we have not really gotten to know eachother again, we just sort, of are still friends, with a 300+ plus month gap to fill in! How many people were you friends with at age fourteen that you actually could be friends with today? Well, we are lucky, Judy and I, and I don't think we'll be losing touch anytime soon! It's just nuts, I love her and we keep in touch often! So- to sum up my novella-Devin went to Japan, and "bumped in" to my old school buddy and her daughter, and they are now friends-I don't know for certain, but I AM pretty sure that this....is an International Coincidence of Monumental Proportions! I wanna call the today show. Or maybe the Enquirer, that lady that gave birth to an alligator, pffft, she got nothin' on me!
PS: Actually-I think I DO know for certain, this IS the ICMP!

4 comments:

  1. Some things are just meant to be. At the very least a connection between them and between you and your friend!
    That would send shivers up my spine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WILD.
    I tagged you.
    Visit blog for details :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, should have told you it's the zuzu girl blog. here's the link...
    http://zuzugirlhandmade.blogspot.com/2008/11/tag-im-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow! How cool is that?! I think they would make a cute couple. :)

    ReplyDelete